Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Etiquette for visiting a house in Spain?


Etiquette for visiting a house in Spain?
I am from Sweden, now I am in Spain (student) and I am going to visit a Spanish home. I haven't done this before. What's the etiquette? What gift should I bring? If the invitation is on 8 going there at 8.30 is good time? Should I offer to remove my shoes?
Other - Spain - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Be on time always if you can, although the spanish never are!! If you have been invited to eat, take a bottle of something, flowers for the lady of the house or some chocolates. As for removing your shoes, that is not on the list of priorities.
2 :
I agree with the other answerer, be on time, if they have invited you for dinner take a bottle of wine, and yes you could take flowers or something for the lady of the house. No don't offer to take your shoes off. Be prepared to eat alot, Spanish mothers like to feed people up, i remember first time i met my mother in law, she must of thought i was under nourished the amout of food she tried to make me eat. Most of all, enjoy yourself.
3 :
Be on time,first of all (The topic that Spanish never are on time isn´t true.There´re unpunctual people everywhere). Do not offer to remove your shoes.We don´t do it in Spain. Wear something nice,sccording to the people you are visiting.If they are very formal,a suit.If they aren´t very formal,jeans or trousers and a shirt (a shirt always looks ellegant,even if it´s informal) As a present,bring a nice bottle of wine.We Spanish always appreciate a good bottle,and it´s always a nice well received present.And if you wish,a box of chocolates or some flowers for the lady of the house.She´ll be happy as well. Have a nice visit! :)

Read more other entries :