Monday, February 28, 2011

What's the best advice you have for a 19 year-old female student studying abroad in Spain? Any specific place?

What's the best advice you have for a 19 year-old female student studying abroad in Spain? Any specific place?
What is the social scene like, how are foreigners respected, and to what extent can one generalize Spanish men?
Other - Spain - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I suppose it depends where you are from, but here goes...I was 19 when I arrived, turned 20 a month later. Go to classes, and learn all the Spanish you possibly can! Don't forget that most of what you learn will be learned "en la calle", so GO OUT!!! Enjoy EVERYTHING you can! TAKE LOOOOOOOOTS of money with you for traveling. Or, better yet, keep it in an account at home, with a debit card, and make sure that you can use that debit card without charges in the ATMs. (but know that they take out 1 - 3% for doing the exchange...you pay that fee no matter how you change your money. Disfruta ¡¡¡¡¡DE TODO!!!!! Take advantage of EVERYTHING that comes your way (use ordinary caution). If you get invited to spend the day at someone's finca, GO. Go to EVERY festival you possibly can. Yes, splurge and get that flamenco dress to use while you are there. Buy TONS of souvenirs...buy real handcrafts...make sure it isn't made in China. AND TAKE PHOTOS OF EVERYTHING!!! The one thing I REALLY regret is that film cost a lot, and it cost a lot to develop, so I was very frugal with my photos...I don't have photos of the places I lived in from the outside...so going back, it was difficult to locate them. If I don't have a photo of it, I don't really remember...in fact, there are many things I don't remember correctly, because I didn't write enough down! Or I found letters a few years ago, and I told my mom an ENTIRELY different story than I remember! Of course, some of that is that I didn't tell my Mom the whole truth...she would have worried! ;) Generalize the men? They are REALLY good looking, if you like the dark, sort of brooding, Antonio Banderas type. (I lived in the South) BUT! don't discount the whole Machismo thing...cause they CAN be very dominating, in a way that most other women don't really like. In my group of something like 150 people, almost all women...I was the only one I knew who went home NOT engaged! (I only know one who actually married the guy, and I'm not entirely sure she is still married to him.) I lived in Sevilla, and I can give you pointers, if you want...but wherever you go, you are bound to think of the place as a second home...it will live in your heart as "home" forever.
2 :
Depends on your current culture. If you are American then I can tell you that in general, Spain is much safer. If you are in a large city like Madrid or Barcelona that is different. If you are going to study here in Spain, I would suggest living with a family. You will learn the language, culture and they will help you know what areas should be avoided and the customs. They will accept you as if you are their own child,,, even introduce you to their friends. Spanish men,,, they are as vastly different here as anywhere and I would caution on generalizing because it is just impossible. Have fun!
3 :
All these things vary depending on where in Spain you are studying. All throughout major cities in Spain the social scene is awesome... clubs are open late, bars open late, most places cater to american students (especially in Barcelona and Madrid). I studied in Barcelona but traveled all over Spain. Barcelona is awesome, especially for the social life. Unless you do student exchanges through your school (meeting up with a local to learn the language... which can often be more like a blind date....) most of the men are sort of sleazy. But the other students are nice local Spanish guys. Foreigners are respected but often stolen from. Just be smart, like in any big city. If I could go back and do it again, I would go to Granada. It is smaller, cheaper, younger, and more "hippy". Seville is also a beautiful alternative. Both have a great social scene without being so overwhelming. HAVE FUN

Read more other entries :