Sunday, July 14, 2013

What do you know about student exchange programs?


What do you know about student exchange programs?
I really want to go to a foreign country, I'm thinking Spain...maybe. Anyways I was googling Exchange students, and I'm not sure of a good program. So I was wondering if anyone had any information about any good programs. Or any information about becoming an exchange student? Like did you have a good time if you went? Or was it as scary as you thought? Was it worth it? I would really like to go next year, for the whole school year. I dont really know anything about it though. Like do you have to switch with someone else? Or can you just go and not have to have a student from there come live in your house? Well any information would help! Thanks a ton!
Other - Destinations - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
You do not have to switch with anyone. I have several friends who have hosted exchange students without any children of their own being involved in the program.
2 :
A family I know hosted a girl from Italy last year named Gianna. Gianna became good friends with one of my friends. Now, my friend is leaving for Italy in 20 days to stay at Gianna's house for a couple months. I'm not sure which program Gianna used. (My friend isn't going through a program)
3 :
Try contacting forte International Exchange Association
4 :
I went to Japan in 2005 though Youth For Understanding. It was a very good program, and I haven't heard of any major problems with the organization. You go to the website, print out the application form, and fill it out. There is a processing fee ($70 I think). There are also scholarshipsfor the program, so that might be all you have to pay! (It was for me!) I had a wonderful time, and I volunteer for YFU now. It was a little scary when I first arrived, but that passed quickly. I went to school there and everything, so I definitely learned a lot. And no, you don't switch with someone else. The "exchange" part is in cultures; you learn about Spain, and your host family learns about where you are from! If you have any more questions, contact me!
5 :
Check the Committee for Safety of Foreign Exchange Students. at www.csfes.org. There are no criminal checks of host families in foreign countries and until this year, no even in the USA. No, you do not have to swtich. You lose the school year if you are in high school but you get credit if you go in college. It costs money -- $4000 to $10,000 depending on the exchange placement agency. But check out the agency because there is no money back guarantee if you end up in a dirty house or don't get along with the family or can't handle the school curriculum in Spanish. You will lose your money. Check out the agency, who runs it and how much money it makes and save everything you get from the agency. Thank about it. Would you move in with a strange family on the next block? City? State? Going across the world means check out everything first. If you do not have contact with your host family at least a month before you're supposed to leave watch out. go to www.guidestar.org It doesn't cost any money. Go to advanced search. Then put in the name of the agency and scroll down to the 990s and check out the information. It is great for people who had a good experience but that is not when it counts - what counts is how an agency will handle it when you're in trouble in a foreign country - be careful

Read more other entries :