Sunday, July 7, 2013

I just received an exchange student from Spain in school to be his tour guide. How can I relate to him?


I just received an exchange student from Spain in school to be his tour guide. How can I relate to him?
He's not staying at my house. I'm just directing him around school. He'll be here for 3 weeks. What can I do to make myself interesting? Should I try to improve my Spanish vocabulary? Suggest things to do around Pittsburg (don't worry, I can figure the answer to this question out myself)? Should I become familiar with the local culture? What should he do while he sits in my class, just listen, or should I bring food for him? What would be some interesting questions to ask him while I have the chance? What are some basic conversation starters? Any advice greatly appreciated. Should I allow other kids to take him around for the time he's here? Since I posted this in studying abroad, I guess just picture what you would hope the ideal tour guide would be like for you if you were to study abroad.
Studying Abroad - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Just be yourself. Get to know him like you would get to know any other new student. He will be able to speak English maybe not perfectly but he will be able to understand. Don't just keep the conversation about yourself and Pittsburg. Also ask him about Spain such as: What is it like living in Spain? What do you do for fun in Spain? Are the classes different in Spain? you get the point. Tell him fun stuff to do in Pittsburg and around the school. Make sure he fits in. Let him get to know other students also so he will get to know as many people as he can. Introduce him to new people also so he can fit in easier. Good luck!
2 :
If you can already speak a bit of Spanish, then sure - go ahead and speak a bit of Spanish to him - but remember that he is there to improve his English and learn from you, not to help you improve your Spanish. It would be useful to him if you could perhaps help him a little with his pronuncation, maybe teach him a few new words everyday and introduce him to a few aspects of the culture. Letting other people show him around may also be useful to him in learning from different peope, but make sure that he is comfortable with this before you offload him onto anybody else.

Read more other entries :