Friday, June 1, 2012

I'm a foreign exchange student and I hate it. I'm at Spain and I just dont like any of it. The food is terri?

I'm a foreign exchange student and I hate it. I'm at Spain and I just dont like any of it. The food is terri?
The family I am staying with gets mad at me if you don't say bye and give a hug school and I usually have to run to school. They yell at me when I ask for help and I want to go home. But my moms stressed cause the family I stay with blames it on me. I want to go home but not by getting in trouble or stressing my parents. What can I do? It kills me everyday to be here.
Studying Abroad - 6 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
From the tone of your question, I have to wonder why you ever decided to spend a year abroad - I assume this is at the High School level? Did you think it would look good on your college application? You might try contacting the program office that set up the exchange, to see if it is possible to find another family (I suspect the one you are staying with now would not mind seeing you leave). Learning to adapt to the customs of the community where you are living is a part of the exchange process, but if you cannot make the effort to adjust, it might be better for you and the program to terminate you, and send you home.
2 :
My advice for you in the future is to do research before making a decision like this. It is obvious you do not understand Spanish Culture and way of life. If you do not like Spanish food then yes it would not be to your liking. I happen to Love the food myself. Im sure you can get out of the program with your parents help. My questioned is whom funded this program. Are there any rules about completing the program? When i say rules, will your parents be required to pay money back to the Organization because you did not complete the program. Good luck to you..
3 :
How old are you? I agree, try staying with another family. Haven't you made any good friends? How about asking them to stay with their family? This could be a good solution.. If u want my opinion, try to make the most of your experience, Spain is an amazing country, give it a second chance, find things you like, you'll find plenty! Good luck really, I know how the pressure feels..
4 :
Easy, fly back to the UK. It's only a 110 min. flight and you could find one for less than 50 GBP with Easyjet or Ryanair. In no time you would be eating "delicious" Cottage Pie and Sausages with mashed potato and gravy. I must tell you, this is the first time I hear someone doesn't like Spanish food.
5 :
It's normal to experience culture shock when you go to a new country. Everything is different. The culture is different (they hug goodbye), the food is different (and you may not like it). But your job is to try to adapt. You need to give the place a chance. If they hug, you hug. If they eat, you eat. And you talk to other English (or American or whatever) students there, or if there are none, then online, and you burn off steam - to them, you talk about the food and etc. But you don't complain to the family you're staying with. All that makes you seem is ungrateful and boorish. You need to try to live within the culture around you. You may not like it, but you need to at least try. So make sure you leave time to say bye and hug them. That's step one. And shut up about the food, except when you're talking to foreigners. At least *try*, because right now, you're not *really* trying. So try for a while, and give the place some time, and see how you feel. But do ask your parents to send you a care package, full of snacks you miss from your home country and other home items. This can really help. And perhaps, if you cook, offer to prepare an American (or English or whatever) meal for the family, or just make one American dish for the next meal. This is your attempt to share your culture with them, as they are trying to share theirs with you.
6 :
Taking advantage it and learn to eat, you are in Spain

Read more other entries :