Saturday, July 14, 2012

How do I get started in a Foreign Exchange Student Program?


How do I get started in a Foreign Exchange Student Program?
I am a Freshman in Highschool, and I want the go with a Foreign Exchange Student Program to Spain or a spanish speaking country. I have taken 3 years of Spanish. I also volunteer at a hospital 4 hours a week (which they might like.) I have good grades also. The problem, is that I don't know how to start or how I will come up with that money. Anything will help me even if it's not in a Spanish country. Thanks!
Other - Education - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Check out the Committee For Safety of Foreign Exchange Students first. Also, be aware that no fingerprint-based criminal checks of host families are conducted so you don't know the background of the adults in the house. You lose a year of high school but if you wait until college you will receive college credit and it looks good to employers that you studied abroad in college. It costs $3000 to $15000 plus $200 per month that your family has to send you every month as part of the contract.
2 :
Check out Youth For Understanding. Not only do they have an excellent program (I went to Japan in 2005), they have more scholarships than just about any other organization! Just go to their website, fill out the application, and you'll hear back from them in not too long. Your grades and language ablitity will help you out TREMENDOUSLY. And.. don't be scared by people who tell you that "exchange programs are dangerous". The statistics say it is very unlikely, and I know hundreds of former students who had no problems at all. YFU will even move you if something happens. Heck, I got moved because the mother got sick!

Read more other entries :