Thursday, July 1, 2010

Should I get an exchange student from Spain or Italy?


Should I get an exchange student from Spain or Italy?
I will be hosting an exchange student next semester, and I can't choose whether to get one from Spain or Italy. Any suggestions?
Studying Abroad - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I would choose Italy.
2 :
First, thank you for opening your home to a new family member! If it's a short-term arrangement, it doesn't really matter. If this will be a long-term (semester or longer) arrangement, I think it's better to choose someone based on shared interests and personality than on home country. To be blunt, if you don't get along with the student, nationality won't matter much. Likewise, if you do get along, it won't matter much either. I guess it depends on which country you want to learn about more.
3 :
My best friend was an exchange student from Spain. She's absolutely lovely, and I've been over to Spain several times to visit her. With that said, her host mom later hosted a girl from Germany and one from Italy simultanelously. The Italian girl was sent home after a few months for sleeping around with guys from the high school, abusing drugs, and so forth. I'm sure this had nothing to do with her nationality, more with her morals and uprbringing. Maybe you could find out a little about both students...and see which one appeals to you more. I'm naturally biased, as I love Spanish people. Nationwide, family seems to be their number one priority...all businesses shut down from 2pm to 5ish every day, and this is when families eat lunch together, have conversation, and simply spend quality time with one another. My best friend frequently talks with her host-mom now, 5 years later. They're very close. I'd go with Spain, but that's just me ;)
4 :
I'm italian_ so thank you and choose the italian! Truth is italian and spanish people are very similar! I believe these exchanges eventually lead to you going to Spain or Italy? In this case choose the italian! Hope my suggestion helps you! Oriana from Florence